Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Road Trip / Day 1

 



So I,m back from a one week road trip across Finland filled with all kinds of new impressions and I feel so mentally rejuvenated! This road trip has literally saved my life because spending the last summer month in the countryside browsing Pinterest all the time and suffering from wanderlust is obviously not so cool. Really, not cool at all. It,s like being buried alive.
Can you imagine how happy and excited I was when my dad suggested going to Finland? Not typical of him at all: he is not someone who is crazy about travelling - quite the opposite, in fact.

But road trips (like any other trips) require planning out. Of course you do not plan out everything but you have to make sure you,ll have a place to sleep and my mom and I had a hard time choosing hotels. Now here,s a little note to self (and everyone else): the more time you spend on choosing a hotel, the happier you will be with the choice.



Our first stop was Hamina, a really small town not far from the Russian-Finnish border. Basically we stopped there just to visit a small Huovila cafe ( Yep, we love coffee shops, probably way too much). The place is just so cosy and they really make the best cappuccino. Also they make perfect buns and cakes. The lovely romantic interior is what makes this place really special though.


We spent our first night at the loveliest guest house called Jokelan Kartano. See what I mean? Not a hotel, but a guest house. A whole different thing! We were warmly welcomed by the owner of the house Raila. This lady really made our stay there special by being very hospitable. The house is seriously so adorable (Shabby chic decorated!) that I couldn,t help smiling like an idiot while Raila was showing us around. The house is a paradise for lovers of all things vintage: filled with antique furniture that makes it so atmospheric...
In the morning we were offered the loveliest breakfast possible: porridge with homemade jam and yoghurt with fresh berries from the garden. Yum! It was such a perfect way to start the day off!


 












In the evening we went to the lake and found a nice place to swim. There are no words to describe how much I love Finnish lakes! The mirror-like surface of the water creates the perfect lighting for taking photographs. I wish I could take all my outfit photos there.
Someone, please, take me back. Pretty please?

  

5 comments:

  1. Prepare for the long comment, there's a lot of things I want to tell you :) First of all, I'm so jealous because of your trip. I've been in love with Scandinavia and Finland (some people say that this country isn't a part of it) since 2 or 3 years. I even learn Norvegian (by myself, but it's still something thought). I won't be able to travel there in the nearest future (but maybe next summer?) so please, put here as many pictures from your trip as you can :) Secondly, I've never been so keen on eastern countries but recently I began to be interested in russian literature and movies. I've seen a lot of russian films, so far the best for me was 'The wild field' (Dikoe pole, I don't know how to translate this ;p), today I'm gonna watch 'The journey with pets' (Puteshestvie s domashnimi zhivotnymi), maybe you know some good movies from your country? Oh, and I'm sooo into 'Interny', there were only 25 episodes translated into polish, but yeah, I can't wait to see the rest (about 165 I guess). I'm reading 'The Master and Margarita', good book so far but I think 'Crime and Punishment' is better. In the end, I said this few times here but I have to say it again - your pictures are stunning, I don't want to flatter you too much but you are agreat photographer ;) greetings from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for your lovely comment! :) I have more pics from my trip and I,ll upload them very soon, so stay tuned :) Finland is so wonderful!
      Also, I,m so glad you are interested in russian literature :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, this makes me want to travel abroad so much. All of your photos are just rad.
    Especially the shots from the guest house. It makes me want to move in!
    and i just really love your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word, i love this!! road trips are the absolute best, and i totally know what you mean by being buried alive by sticking around at home, and browsing. i have also just noticed that this is happening to me, so i have been getting outside, and exploring the mountains. such a breathe of fresh air (literally)! these pictures are absolutely gorgeous! i had no idea you could stay in guest houses! that is the coolest thing, and i just love the one you guys decided on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you in the chucks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love comments, all of them are deeply appreciated! :)