Friday, August 24, 2012

Someone who is so hard to say goodbye to.



In my everyday life I rarely hang out with friends. Partly because I live a bit too far from where others do, partly because every time I listen to the random gossip I get utterly bored, it seems to be such a waste of time.
However, in Wiesbaden it was different. I came to this city with one particular goal: to see my friends who I,d been missing so badly. This is Evgenia and she was my first exchange partner. Luckily, she can speak Russian but other friends of mine do not and they have become my biggest motivation.



For sure, travelling gives the best motivation to learn languages. Travelling abroad makes you see that without language skills you are helpless.
I realized that when I came to Germany for the very first time more than two years ago. My A1 level of German was not enough to understand even the simplest conversations. The most annoying thing about being a girl with this stupid A1 level is that everyone who gets the satisfying "She speaks German just a little bit" answer starts discussing you with your exchange partner and stares at you as if you were an exhibited object. Of course, I,d been an encouraged German learner before but this trip to Wiesbaden was an extra push that I needed.
This year I could say with a certain amount of self-confidence that my German had become better. I speak not so well, not so fluently, but the progress is obvious.
Weird, but people tend to underestimate my language skills, some even prefer talking to me in English. Ok, ok, I do not mind it: English practice is always a good thing, even if you are in Germany.




Every time I get a chance to show what I have learnt and every time I see that people understand me, I feel almost euphoric. It gives me personal fulfillment and the feeling of happiness. This feeling keeps me motivated. 

13 comments:

  1. Sorry for speaking English with you :D

    Greetings from Wiesbaden

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice outfit :)

    And yes, I agree with languages. I've been learning Japanese for a while, and I always get a sense of fulfilment when I speak to someone in Japanese! I'm actually going to Japan in less than a week's time! Hopefully I can brush up on my Japanese skill sthen haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How perfectly cute she is! You must be a heart-breaking duo! Viel Gluck! I'm sure you'll catch on quick being as you're such a bright girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow u are so pretty! and that jacket is great! <3
    http://thesedaysfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some if the most exhilarating moments in my life where those when my brain got it!! "I understand what you are trying to tell me!!"

    And some of the most motivated learning is when your living in that country...everyone speaks that language...its written everywhere.....i definetly figured that out when lived overseas as a foreign exchange student....you learned fast so people wouldn't feel bad for you and talk to you like a 4 yr old.....

    Beautiful friend!!! You must have such fun together....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Post. I follow your Blog now.
    Please follow me.
    A.

    dramaticmode.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh. Once again, you write a post I utterly relate to! And the photos are lovely...it's so clear that she's a good friend. :)

    By the way, it's pretty cool that you know Russian, German, and English....you definitely inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Germany. However I don't know if my e-mails reached, I wrote to you twice from two different addresses. It's a pity we didn't meet but I' m sure you'll visit Germany for another time soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog title! I love your blog. I'd love it if you stopped by mine: Living Fully By Faith .

    http://emmavogelsang.blogspot.com
    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love comments, all of them are deeply appreciated! :)