Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Young Lady Takes the Plunge



 The flight. It was the very first time that I was travelling by plane on my own and I was more than nervous: one thought about it could make my heart sink, because in my head all airports looked like impassable labyrinths where I would surely get lost. My parents drove me to the airport long beforehand because of my stupid dream about missing the flight and we had to spend the whole hour just doing nothing. Saying goodbye to my parents was so unusual, I felt rather helpless standing in a queue for check-in and looking at other people who were travelling with relatives or friends and dying of jealousy. However, very soon I discovered that it,s impossible to lose your way because the boards that show the departure times and gates are everywhere. When I finally stepped on a plane there were no signs of being worried any more, I felt like a superhero. I got cosy in my seat and felt deeply relaxed and happy.



The seat was next to an old woman with a husband and when the plane took off she asked me if I spoke English and of course I answered "yes". The woman turned out to be a talkative one: she told me everything about her trip to Russia, everything about her life in Canada ( she lives in Canada although she was born in Australia), everything about her children and grandchildren. After lunch she even showed me her travel photos. It was the first time in my life that I was talking to a native English speaker and I was glad that I could understand almost everything and that woman could understand me too. She even called me "a young lady', oh, it was so flattering! The time went by fast and soon we landed in Frankfurt. I came to Germany.



It took me a while to find the guy who was supposed to pick me up. We got into the car, and soon I saw green forests, hills, fields... At that moment life seemed to be a fairytale. Seeing all the familiar places made me feel utterly happy. We reached Wiesbaden and I knew I was in the right place. My dream came true.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so proud of you !! I can remember my first flight alone!...yes your words described it perfectly! yes, it was nervous, scared, encouraging...but we both did it...now your a veteran travller!!

    Stunning pictures...taking notes on clothes, notes, notes, more notes.......hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love comments, all of them are deeply appreciated! :)